Nutty Granola with Strawberry Compote and Greek Yogurt
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 10 cups granola and 2 cups compote
Finally, a granola that's not too sweet: This one, from Zoe Nathan, is toasty and crisp, brimming with nuts, dried fruit and coconut. Nathan serves it with plain Greek yogurt—any fat level will do—and a generous dollop of her garnet-hued strawberry compote. This recipe makes extra granola, which keeps well.
- 1 pound old-fashioned rolled oats (4 cups)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/3 cup raw pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
- 1/4 cup flaxseeds
- 1 cup dried cherries (4 ounces)
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped (5 ounces)
- Plain Greek yogurt, for serving
- 1 1/2 pounds strawberries, hulled
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- MAKE THE GRANOLA Preheat the oven to 325°. In a bowl, toss the oats, butter, honey, salt and cinnamon until evenly coated. Spread the oats on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice, until just starting to brown. Add the coconut, almonds, walnuts, pepitas and flaxseeds and mix well. Bake for 25 minutes longer, stirring, until the granola is golden brown and nearly dry. Remove from the oven and toss in the dried cherries and apricots. Let the granola cool completely on the baking sheet, stirring occasionally.
- MEANWHILE, MAKE THE COMPOTE In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the strawberries soften, 8 minutes. Uncover and simmer over moderately low heat, stirring, until the compote is syrupy, 10 minutes. Let cool completely, then refrigerate until chilled, 30 minutes.
- To serve, spoon some yogurt and granola into bowls and top with the strawberry compote.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.