Nutty Carrot Pilaf
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6 to 8
Dressing up rice pilaf with carrots, salted pumpkin seeds and roasted almonds gives it fantastic crunch, as well as lots of additional flavor.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 1 shallot, minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup salted roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted almonds
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over moderately high heat. Add the carrots and shallot, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallot is softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the rice and caraway seeds. Add 2 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the pilaf to a bowl and sprinkle with the pepitas and almonds. Serve with lemon wedges.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.