- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 1 shallot, minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup salted roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted almonds
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over moderately high heat. Add the carrots and shallot, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallot is softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the rice and caraway seeds. Add 2 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
Fluff the rice with a fork. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the pilaf to a bowl and sprinkle with the pepitas and almonds. Serve with lemon wedges.