© Leela Cyd
Nutty Caramel Corn
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS
- SERVINGS: makes 18 cups
Slideshows: More Tasty Snacks
- 12 cups unsalted popped popcorn (from 1 microwave bag)
- 1 cup salted cocktail peanuts
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 225°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put the popcorn and peanuts in a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt and bring to a boil. Add the baking soda and cream of tartar and boil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the syrup is deep amber, about 4 minutes. Pour the hot syrup over the peanuts and popcorn and stir with a wooden spoon until evenly coated. Spread the mixture on the baking sheet and bake until slightly dry, about 1 hour. The caramel corn will harden as it cools; let it cool completely.
- Invert the caramel corn onto a cutting board. Peel off the paper and break into chunks before serving.
Serve With Mascarpone-Swirled Brownies.