- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/4 cups light corn syrup
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups toasted and coarsely chopped walnuts or unskinned almonds
- Generously butter a 13-by-9-inch metal baking pan. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the butter, light and dark corn syrups, cream, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Cook over moderate heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Raise the heat to moderately high and place a candy thermometer in the pan. Bring to a boil. Using a pastry brush dipped in warm water, brush down the side of the pan twice to prevent crystallization. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the temperature registers 248°, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and quickly stir in the vanilla and the nuts. Pour the caramel into the prepared pan and let cool to room temperature on a rack, at least 2 hours.
- Remove the caramel from the pan. Oil the blade of a chef's knife. Cut the caramel crosswise into 13 strips, then cut each strip into 9 pieces. Arrange the caramels, without touching one another, between sheets of wax paper, or wrap them individually in wax paper.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.