- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 pound cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- Heat the oven to 325°. Butter an 8-inch round metal cake or pie pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and 3/4 teaspoon of the nutmeg. With your fingers, rub in the butter completely until the mixture is the texture of sand. Using a fork, stir in 5 tablespoons of the sugar. Stir in the egg yolk. Press the mixture together to make a dry, crumbly dough and put it on a work surface. Knead the dough about twelve times until it just holds together.
- Press the dough in an even layer into the prepared pan. With a small, sharp knife, mark eight wedges halfway into the dough. With a fork, prick the dough every 1/2 inch or so. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and sprinkle it on the dough. Bake the shortbread in the middle of the oven until golden, 50 to 55 minutes.
- Let the shortbread cool slightly in the pan set on a rack and then cut into wedges. Let cool completely in the pan.
Contributed By Photo © Stephanie Shih Published