- 1 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup fish sauce (nuoc mam)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 small carrotfinely shredded, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a small dish, soak the hot pepper in the vinegar for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the fish sauce, lime juice, carrot, garlic and sugar. Stir in 1 1/2 cups warm water and the hot pepper-vinegar mixture. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Serve at room temperature. Store the sauce in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Nuoc mam is available at Asian markets.
Contributed By Marcia Kiesel Photo Published