- SERVINGS: Makes about 1 cup
The principal ingredient in this classic Vietnamese dipping sauce is a pungent, vitamin B-rich fish sauce, which is a beautiful balance of sugar, chiles and lime juice. The sauce is an ideal accompaniment to any Asian fried snack or dumpling; it also goes well with grilled chicken or pork and steamed rice.
- 2 large garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nuoc mam)
- 1/4 cup plus tablespoon fresh lime juice
- In a mortar on mini-chopper, pulverize the garlic with the red pepper. Add the sugar and pound to a glossy paste. Pour into a bowl and stir in the fish sauce, lime juice and /4 cup of water.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.