- 2 medium golden beets (3/4 pound), tops discarded
- 2 medium red beets (3/4 pound), tops discarded
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chopped mint
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups packed baby arugula
- 3/4 cup fresh ricotta cheese
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Set the beets in a small baking dish, add 1 cup of hot water and cover with foil. Bake for about 45 minutes, until the beets are tender when pierced with a knife. Drain and let stand until cool enough to handle. Using a paper towel, rub the skins off the beets. Cut the beets into 1/2-inch dice.
- In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat until golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer the pine nuts to a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the beets with the scallions, olive oil, vinegar and 1 tablespoon each of the dill and mint. Season with salt and pepper. Add the arugula and toss to coat. Transfer the salad to plates. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the ricotta over each salad and season the ricotta with pepper. Sprinkle with the pine nuts and the remaining 1 teaspoon each of dill and mint. Serve at once.
The beets can be made through step 1 up to 2 days in advance.