Grapefruit, Fried Tofu and Shallot Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
Crispy tofu turns this veggie-loaded, Vietnamese-inspired salad into a satisfying main course.
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and chopped
- 1 small shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 small pink grapefruits
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 ounces firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-by-2-inch pieces
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 large shallots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large head of butter lettuce, cored and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 small carrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped
- Combine all of the ingredients except the oil, salt and ground pepper in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. With the machine on, add the oil in a thin stream. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Using a very sharp knife, peel the grapefruits, carefully removing all of the bitter white pith. Cut in between the membranes, releasing the grapefruit sections into a bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil to 360°. Gently pat the tofu dry with paper towels. Put the cornstarch in a medium bowl. Dredge the shallots in the cornstarch; transfer them to a sieve and shake off the excess cornstarch. Dredge the tofu pieces in the cornstarch. Working in 2 batches, fry the shallots until browned, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season with salt. In 3 batches, fry the tofu pieces until golden brown and puffed, about 4 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels and season with salt.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with the grapefruit sections, bell pepper, carrot, red onion, cilantro, mint and peanuts. Toss with 1/2 cup of the dressing; add more dressing if desired. Arrange the fried tofu and shallots on top and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.