Goat Cheese and Caramelized Apple Toasts
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 6
Grace Parisi's sweet and savory toasts are perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack.<
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 slices white bread
- Coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the pecans in a pie plate and toast for 10 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- In a medium bowl, mash the goat cheese with the cream cheese and confectioners' sugar. Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet. Add the apples and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the granulated sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are caramelized and tender, about 5 minutes longer. Stir in the water and transfer the apples to a plate.
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack 8 inches from the heat. Arrange the bread on a baking sheet and brush both sides with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Broil the bread, turning once, until golden and toasted, about 4 minutes.
- Spread the goat cheese mixture on the toast and spoon the apples on top. Sprinkle very lightly with coarse salt. Cut each toast in half diagonally and serve right away.