- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
Unlike most other lettuces, escarole and radicchio are hearty enough to chop ahead of time. Tom Valenti uses only tender, inner escarole leaves for this salad, reserving the tougher outer leaves for soups.
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 heads of escarole (about 3 pounds), tender inner leaves only, coarsely chopped
- 1 head of radicchio (about 1 pound), coarsely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly shaved
- In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar with the thyme, oregano, garlic and sugar. Whisk in the oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the escarole, radicchio and fennel and toss well. Serve right away.
Make Ahead The dressing can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.