Curried Lentil and Vegetable Stew
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Packed with fresh vegetables, this simple stew makes for an excellent vegetarian main course.
- 1/2 cup French green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium leek, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 medium red potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 pound okra, sliced crosswise 1 inch thick
- 2 ounces snow peas
- 2 packed cups baby spinach leaves (2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, cover the lentils with 2 cups of the water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the lentils are barely tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cover and cook until tender, about 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil. Add the garlic, leek and ginger and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of water, the soy sauce and the potatoes. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the okra and simmer until just tender, about 3 minutes. Add the snow peas and spinach and simmer until the snow peas are bright green, about 1 minute. Stir in the lentils, add the lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot or warm.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.