Creamy Barley Risotto
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Barley becomes rich and creamy when cooked gradually in chicken stock but it still maintains its addictive chew.
- 4 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup pearled barley (7 ounces)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a simmer over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat to low and keep warm.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and thyme and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 6 minutes. Add the barley and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of the warm stock and cook, stirring, until nearly absorbed. Continue adding the stock 1/2 cup at a time and stirring until it is nearly absorbed between additions. The risotto is done when the barley is al dente and suspended in a thick, creamy sauce, about 35 minutes. Stir in the 1/2 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano and the butter and season with salt and pepper. Serve at once, passing more cheese at the table.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.