Chicken and Cheese Pupusas
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 8 Pupusas
Pupusas are freshly made, thick corn tortillas that are stuffed with a flavorful meat and cheese.
- 2 cups masa harina (see Note)
- 1 3/4 cups very warm tap water
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup shredded roasted chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 2 tablespoons minced dry chorizo
- Cayenne pepper
- About 1 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- Sour cream, pickled jalapeños, chopped onion, guacamole and hot sauce, for serving
- In a medium bowl, using your hands, mix the masa harina with the water and 1/2 teaspoon salt until a soft dough forms. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough stand for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, toss the chicken with the cheddar, queso fresco and chorizo. Season with salt and cayenne.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Working with 1 ball at a time and keeping the rest covered, press the dough in the palm of your hand to form a cup with walls about 3/8 inch thick. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the chicken filling into the cup and pinch to seal. Pat the filled dough into a flat 4-inch patty; pinch to seal any cracks. Set the pupusa on a baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Repeat with the remaining balls of dough and filling.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat 1/2 cup of the oil until shimmering. Add 4 pupusas and cook over high heat, turning once or twice, until golden and crisp outside and heated through, about 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining pupusas, adding more oil to the skillet as needed. Serve the pupusas with sour cream, pickled jalapeños, chopped onion, guacamole and hot sauce.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.