Broccoli-Cheddar Gratin with Chipotle
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
It's easy to love broccoli smothered in a cheesy sauce. Here, the gratin gets an addictive spicy kick from a bit of canned chipotle in adobo sauce.
More Quick Side Dishes
- 2 1/2 pounds broccoli, cut into spears
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon minced canned chipotle in adobo
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack 8 inches from the heat. Set a steamer basket in a large, deep skillet filled with 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli spears, cover and cook over high heat until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer the broccoli spears to a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish, arrange them in a single layer and season with salt.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk over moderately high heat for 2 minutes. Add the half-and-half and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbling, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheddar and chipotle.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the broccoli. Broil for 5 minutes, shifting the dish once halfway through, until the gratin is bubbling and browned in spots.