- One 8-ounce loaf peasant bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch of watercress, thick stems discarded
- 6 large radishes, very thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb-halved, cored and very thinly sliced
- 4 ounces thinly sliced Genoa salami, slices quartered
- 2 ounces grated Manchego or Pecorino Toscano cheese (1/2 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, toss the bread cubes with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and toast in the center of the oven for 10 minutes, until golden and crisp. Let cool slightly.
- In the same bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the vinegar and garlic. Whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the toasted bread cubes, watercress, radishes, fennel and salami and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cheese and toss again. Transfer the salad to plates and serve right away.
Contributed By Grace Parisi Photo Published