Not Your Usual Lemon Meringue Pie
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
Chef Way In her version of lemon meringue pie, Gale Gand forgoes a traditional crust for quick-baked sheets of sugared phyllo dough, which she layers with house-made lemon curd and a brown-sugar meringue. The recipe, a classic at Tru restaurant in Chicago, appears in Gand's book Butter Sugar Flour Eggs (Clarkson Potter).
Easy Way Use good quality store-bought phyllo dough and lemon curd.
- 3 sheets of phyllo dough, plus more in case of tearing
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 5 large egg whites
- One 12-ounce jar lemon curd
- Raspberries, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Cut 2 sheets of parchment paper to fit a large baking sheet. Place 1 sheet of the parchment on a work surface. Top with a sheet of phyllo and brush with the melted butter. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of the granulated sugar over the phyllo. Repeat with 2 more sheets of phyllo so that you have a stack of 3 sugared sheets. Using a ruler, trim the phyllo to a 12-by-16-inch rectangle, then cut it into twelve 4-inch squares. Slide the parchment onto a baking sheet and top with the second sheet of parchment paper. Bake for 18 minutes, until the phyllo squares are golden and crisp. Let cool completely.
- Preheat the broiler. Put the brown sugar in a food processor; pulse to break up any lumps. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a whisk, beat the egg whites at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in the brown sugar at high speed, a few tablespoons at a time, until the whites are glossy, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the meringue to a pastry bag with a plain tip.
- Spoon a dollop of lemon curd onto each phyllo square. Pipe a layer of meringue over the lemon curd (alternately, you can spoon the meringue over the curd). Broil 6 inches from the heat for 1 minute, or until lightly toasted. Set 6 phyllo squares on plates and top them with the remaining 6 squares. Garnish with raspberries and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.