- 1/3 cup hazelnuts (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup fresh raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly butter a large baking sheet. Toast the hazelnuts in a small cake pan for about 12 minutes, or until fragrant and the skins blister. Transfer to a kitchen towel and rub the nuts together to remove the skins. Coarsely chop the nuts and let cool. Raise the oven temperature to 400°.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and hazelnuts. In a large measuring cup, combine the buttermilk and butter. Stir in the raspberries. Stir the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined. Scoop 8 equal spoonfuls of the dough onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the scones are golden. Let cool slightly before serving.
Contributed By Photo Published June 1996