- 3/4 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- Four 8-by-7 1/2-inch sheets of nori (seaweed), halved
- 4 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 16 green beans, blanched
- 8 large kale leaves, stemmed and blanched
- 4 scallions, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
How to make this recipe
- In a small saucepan, cover the rice with 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the water has been absorbed, about 35 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a small glass bowl, microwave the sugar and salt with 2 tablespoons of water at high power for 10 seconds, until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the rice vinegar. Sprinkle the vinegar mixture over the warm rice and stir well.
- Lay a nori sheet on a work surface. Spread 1/4 cup of the rice on the bottom half and spread 1/2 teaspoon of wasabi paste over the rice. Top with 2 green beans, 1 kale leaf and a halved scallion. Fold the nori over to form a cone or roll; set on a platter and repeat with the remaining nori and fillings.
- In a bowl, stir the soy sauce and sesame oil with the remaining vinegar. Serve the rolls with the dipping sauce.
One Serving 111 cal, 1 gm fat, 0 gm sat fat, 22 gm carb, 2.4 gm fiber.
Briny nori pairs best with sake.