Noodle Frittata with Smoky Paprika
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Combining cooked egg noodles with smoky pimentón and eggs creates a delicious dish that's a playful combination of noodle kugel and Spanish tortilla.
- 4 ounces wide egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 5 1/2 ounces Idiazabal cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon sweet Pimentón de la Vera (smoked Spanish paprika), plus more for sprinkling
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a medium saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the noodles until al dente. Drain the noodles and cool under running water, then drain again.
- In a 10-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion, garlic and thyme and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened and just starting to brown, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the noodles.
- In a medium bowl, toss 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese with the 1 teaspoon of paprika. In a blender, combine the eggs with the ricotta, chicken stock, milk, salt and white pepper and puree until smooth. Add the egg mixture and cheese to the skillet and mix well. Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 25 minutes, until the frittata is just set. Uncover and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top. Turn on the broiler and broil for about 2 minutes, until lightly browned on top. Let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the frittata with paprika, cut into wedges and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.