© Amy Sims
No-Bake Chocolate Custard
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 2
This supersilky chocolate custard appears regularly on the dessert menu at Rubicon in San Francisco. Nicole Krasinski suggests serving it slightly chilled.
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, plus shaved chocolate, for serving
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk and 2 tablespoons of the sugar and heat until steaming and the sugar is dissolved. Put the egg yolk in a small bowl and gradually whisk in the hot milk. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Off the heat, add the chopped chocolate and salt and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the butter. Pour the custard into 2 shallow bowls and refrigerate briefly, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the heavy cream with the cinnamon and the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar until softly whipped. Dollop the cream on the custards, sprinkle the chocolate shavings on the cream and serve.
Make Ahead The chocolate custards can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight. Serve the custards chilled or at room temperature.