© Amy Sims
No-Bake Chocolate Custard
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 2
This supersilky chocolate custard appears regularly on the dessert menu at Rubicon in San Francisco. Nicole Krasinski suggests serving it slightly chilled.
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, plus shaved chocolate, for serving
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk and 2 tablespoons of the sugar and heat until steaming and the sugar is dissolved. Put the egg yolk in a small bowl and gradually whisk in the hot milk. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Off the heat, add the chopped chocolate and salt and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the butter. Pour the custard into 2 shallow bowls and refrigerate briefly, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the heavy cream with the cinnamon and the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar until softly whipped. Dollop the cream on the custards, sprinkle the chocolate shavings on the cream and serve.
Make AheadThe chocolate custards can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight. Serve the custards chilled or at room temperature.