- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces cured chorizo, diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 8 ounces new potatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
How to make this recipe
In an enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil. Add the chorizo and cook over moderately high heat until some of its fat has rendered and it has begun to brown around the edges, about 5 minutes. Add the onions, and continue cooking until soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add the chicken broth, potatoes, tomatoes and chickpeas and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 35 minutes. Season with the salt and black pepper. Stir in the parsley and serve.
One serving: 288 cal, 10 gm fat, 2.6 gm sat fat, 36.9 gm carb, 8 gm fiber, 13 gm protein. Tip: To make a vegetarian version of this stew, omit the chorizo and add shredded kale with the potatoes. Tip: Cook the leftover chorizo with scrambled eggs, for breakfast.