- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomatillo—husked, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) canned diced green Hatch chiles
- 1/4 cup Basic Chicken Stock (see Note) or low-sodium broth
- Jasmine Rice (see Note) or 3 cups warm cooked white rice
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion, tomatillo, garlic and a generous pinch of salt. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and just starting to brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in the cumin and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, chiles and stock and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Transfer the sofrito to a blender or food processor and let cool slightly, then puree until smooth.
Wipe out the skillet and cook the sofrito in it over moderate heat, stirring, until hot, about 5 minutes. Gradually fold in the rice and cook just until it is hot and coated in the sofrito, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, garnish with cilantro and serve.