The New American Grilled Cheese
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 4 cooked andouille sausages, sliced lengthwise in thirds
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 10 ounces extra-sharp orange cheddar, 6 ounces shredded, 4 ounces sliced
- 8 large slices of sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 12 cornichons, halved, plus more for serving
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sliced sausages over moderate heat, turning once, until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer the sausages to a plate and wipe out the pan.
- In a bowl, stir the butter with the shredded cheddar cheese just until combined. Spread the cheddar-butter on one side of each slice of bread; arrange them buttered side down on a work surface. Spread the mustard on the bread and sprinkle the Monterey Jack over the mustard. Top 4 slices with the sausages, halved cornichons and the sliced cheddar. Close the sandwiches, pressing lightly and tucking in any stray cheese.
- Place the sandwiches in the skillet, cover and cook over moderately low heat until golden on the bottom, 3 minutes. Press with a spatula to flatten slightly, then flip the sandwiches, cover and cook until browned on the bottom, 3 minutes longer; lower the heat if the bread is browned before the cheese melts completely. Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and let rest for 2 minutes, then cut them in half and serve with cornichons.
Peppery, juicy Zinfandel.