© Daniel Proctor
Nell's Espresso Brownies
- SERVINGS: MAKES 16 BROWNIES
You can use Newman's Own Organics espresso sweet dark chocolate bars for these intense brownies; or add 1 tablespoon of very finely ground espresso beans to plain bittersweet chocolate.
Plus: More Dessert Recipes and Tips
- 6 ounces espresso-flavored sweet dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Scant 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly butter a 9-inch square baking pan. Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan with 1 inch of simmering water. Remove from the heat, stir in the cocoa powder and let cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs at medium speed for 1 minute. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is pale yellow, about 2 minutes. Fold in the melted chocolate and vanilla. Sift the flour over the batter, add the salt and fold in just until combined. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool before cutting into squares.