- 1 medium baking potato (8 ounces), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons plain dry breadcrumbs
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 12 ounces ground pork
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Quick-Pickled Sweet Cucumbers
- Mashed potatoes and lingonberry jam, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a small saucepan, cook the potato in salted boiling water until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain well, then pass through a ricer into a bowl. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425°. In a large bowl, whisk the egg with the milk and cream. Stir in the breadcrumbs and let stand for 5 minutes to soften. Add the beef, pork, onion, salt, pepper and riced potato and mix just until combined. Shape the mixture into 18 meatballs.
- In a large ovenproof nonstick skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add half of the meatballs and cook over moderate heat, turning, until golden all over, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and wipe out the skillet. Repeat with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and meatballs.
- Return all of the meatballs to the skillet and bake until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve with the Quick-Pickled Sweet Cucumbers, mashed potatoes and lingonberry jam.
The uncooked meatballs can be refrigerated overnight.
Pair this dish with a generously fruity Zinfandel.