Mussels with White Beans and Chorizo
- TOTAL TIME: 7 MIN
- SERVINGS: 2 to 4
F&W Best New Chef 1996 Michael Schlow adds white beans and smoky chorizo to mussels for a hearty, substantial meal.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces dried chorizo, diced
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Ground black pepper
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- Chopped parsley and grilled bread, for serving
- In a large, deep skillet, combine the olive oil with the garlic and chorizo and cook over high heat for 1 minute. Add the cherry tomatoes and crushed red pepper, season with salt and black pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add the cannellini beans, mussels and 1/2 cup of water, cover and cook over high heat until the mussel shells open, about 3 minutes; discard any mussels that don’t open. Transfer the mussels, beans, tomatoes and chorizo to deep bowls, sprinkle with parsley and serve with grilled bread.
Citrusy, slightly herbal Sauvignon Blanc.