- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons ouzo
- 3 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Crusty bread, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, oregano and cayenne and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the ouzo and boil for 1 minute. Add the mussels, cover and cook until the mussels open, about 5 minutes.
Transfer the mussels to 6 bowls. Return the pot to high heat and stir in the feta and butter. Pour the broth over the mussels and serve with crusty bread.