- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta or bacon, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/2 fennel bulb, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 48 mussels, scrubbed
- 1 1/4 cups fish stock, or 3/4 cup clam juice plus 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup packed parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons marjoram leaves
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt
- Crusty bread, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil. Add the pancetta and cook over moderately low heat until crisp, 5 minutes. Add the onion, celery, fennel and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, 7 minutes. Stir in the wine and simmer over moderately high heat until almost all of the liquid is evaporated, 3 minutes. Add the mussels and stock and bring to a simmer; cover and cook until the mussels open, 4 minutes. Stir in the crème fraîche.
- Off the heat, stir in the lemon juice, parsley, marjoram and crushed red pepper. Season with salt and transfer to bowls. Serve with crusty bread.
Brisk Italian white.