© Christina Holmes
Mussels with Merguez Sausage
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
To give mussels steamed in white wine a North African profile, Hugh Acheson includes the richly seasoned lamb sausage called merguez.
Slideshow: Mussels Recipes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 pound merguez sausage, casing removed and sausage crumbled (see Note)
- 4 medium shallots, minced
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup full-bodied white wine, such as Chardonnay
- 1 large tomato, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Urfa or Aleppo chile (see Note)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro plus 1 teaspoon minced cilantro stems
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed
- Crusty bread, for serving
- In a large pot, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the merguez and cook over moderately high heat, breaking it up with a spoon, until the fat is rendered and the sausage is starting to brown, 3 minutes. Add the shallots and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 minutes. Add the wine, tomato, lime juice, chile and cilantro stems and cook until the wine is slightly reduced, 2 minutes. Stir in the mussels, cover and steam until the mussels open, 7 to 10 minutes; discard any mussels that do not open. Stir in the chopped cilantro and the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Ladle the mussels and broth into bowls and serve with crusty bread.
NotesMerguez sausage and Urfa chiles are available at specialty food markets and amazon.com.
A full-bodied white such as Chablis or Chenin Blanc.