- 4 thick slices of white peasant bread
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 garlic cloves—1 left whole, 1 thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced pickled jalapeños
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 pounds mussels, scrubbed
- 1 1/2 cups bottled clam broth
- 1/3 cup crème fraîche
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Preheat the broiler. Brush the bread with olive oil and transfer to a baking sheet. Broil the bread a few inches from the heat, turning once, for 2 minutes, until golden and toasted. Lightly rub the whole garlic clove over the toasts.
- In a large, deep pot, heat the 1/4 cup of olive oil. Add the shallot, sliced garlic and jalapeños, season lightly with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, stirring, until the garlic is softened and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the mussels and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the clam broth, cover and steam the mussels until they open, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels to 4 deep bowls, discarding any mussels that do not open.
- Add the crème fraîche and cilantro to the broth, swirling and shaking the pot until combined. Stir in the lime juice. Slowly pour the broth over the mussels, stopping before you reach the grit at the bottom of the pot. Serve the mussels with the garlic toasts.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.