© John Kernick
Mussels in Nasturtium Broth
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
This broth is made without cooking the flowers, to keep all their spicy flavor.
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small pinch of saffron threads
- 30 nasturtium flowers, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Sea salt
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- In a small saucepan, bring the water, butter and saffron to a boil. Transfer to a blender, add the 30 nasturtiums and lime juice and blend until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve and season with salt.
- In a large saucepan, combine the mussels and wine. Cover and cook over high heat until the mussels open, about 5 minutes. Stir in the nasturtium broth. Spoon the mussels and broth into bowls, garnish with nasturtiums and serve.