Mussel and Potato Stew
- SERVINGS: 10
Both mussels and potatoes are staples of Ligurian cooking. Reed Hearon uses them with broccoli rabe to make this succulent light stew. Fruity olive oil adds depth of flavor.
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound broccoli rabe, thick stems peeled
- 1/2 cup fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 pounds small mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, cover the potatoes with cold water. Add salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes.
- In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the broccoli rabe until crisp-tender and still bright green, about 5 minutes. Drain well and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- In a deep 12-inch skillet, combine the oil, anchovies and garlic. cook over high heat, mashing the anchovies, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Spread the mussels in the skillet, top with the potatoes, broccoli rabe and parsley. Add 1/2 cup of water and season with salt and pepper. Stir several times, then cover and cook until the mussels open and the vegetable are tender, abut 8 minutes. Discard any unopened mussels. Transfer the stew to soup plates and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.