Mussel and Chickpea Stew
- SERVINGS: 4
More Amazing Seafood Recipes
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large leek, white and 3 inches of green, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/3 inch thick
- 1 small celery rib, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small poblano or red Anaheim chile—halved, seeded and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon loosely packed saffron threads, crumbled
- Pinch of ground allspice
- 1 cup canned Italian tomatoes, chopped, with their juices
- 1 medium red potato (3 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Set a colander in a large heatproof bowl in the sink. In a large saucepan, combine the water with 1/2 cup of the wine and the bay leaves and bring to a boil. Add the mussels, cover and steam, shaking the pan a few times, until the mussels open, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain the mussels in the colander; reserve the cooking liquid. Remove the mussels from their shells and put them in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the leek, celery, poblano and onion and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, saffron and allspice, cover and cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the juices have evaporated and the tomatoes start to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of wine. Slowly pour in the reserved mussel cooking liquid, stopping before you reach the grit.
- Add the potato and chickpeas to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat for 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, add the mussels and reheat them gently in the stew.
NotesOne Serving Calories 320 kcal, Total Fat 8.2 gm, Saturated Fat 1.1 gm, Protein 25 gm, Carbohydrates 35 gm.
Serve WithCrusty bread.