Mushroom XO Sauce
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 1 cup
Instead of using the usual dried seafood to make this spicy, funky Chinese condiment, Richard Landau creates a vegan version with umami-rich shiitake mushrooms. It’s terrific over simply cooked mild vegetables, like zucchini or cauliflower.
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and caps finely diced (4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon fermented black beans, rinsed and mashed
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 450° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, toss the mushrooms with the sesame oil. Spread the mushrooms out on the baking sheet and roast for 12 minutes, stirring once or twice, until dried and lightly browned.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl and stir in all of the remaining ingredients. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.