- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound mixed fresh wild mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large slices white peasant bread, cut 1/2 inch thick
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the stock, season with salt and pepper and simmer until evaporated, about 3 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
Transfer the mushrooms to a blender and puree. Blend in the butter.
Toast the bread and spread with the mushroom butter. Serve warm.