- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 pounds large white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 6 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 6 cups water
- 5 small thyme sprigs
- 5 parsley sprigs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound chorizo, peeled and coarsely ground in a food processor or very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 pound small white button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 bunch scallions (about 6), white and green part, thinly sliced
- MAKE THE GARNISH In a large soup pot, melt the butter. Add three-fourths of the sliced mushrooms, the shallots and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until the mushroom liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are lightly browned, 30 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, water, thyme and parsley and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat for 1 hour. Strain the mushroom broth into a heatproof bowl, pressing hard on the solids with the back of a spoon. Discard the solids and wipe out the soup pot.
- Return the broth to the pot. Add the remaining sliced mushrooms, bring to a boil over high heat and cook them for 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mushrooms to a blender. Add 1 cup of the broth and puree until smooth. Return the mushroom puree to the soup and stir in the heavy cream, soy sauce and cornstarch mixture and bring to a simmer. Cook just until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, cook the chorizo over moderate heat until the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Drain the ground chorizo on a paper towel. Wipe out the skillet and melt the butter. Add the quartered mushrooms and cook over high heat until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add the scallions and chorizo and cook just until the scallions are softened, about 1 minute. Mound 1/4 cup of the garnish in the center of 10 soup bowls, ladle the soup all around and serve.
A fruity, earthy Rioja with rich flavors will echo the mushrooms in this soup.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.