- SERVINGS: 4
High heat and an uncrowded pan ensure that the mushrooms caramelize. This sauté will dress 1 pound of pasta.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds portobello mushrooms, stems removed, caps thickly sliced
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, stems removed, caps thickly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 tablespoons white wine or water
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Working in batches, in a large heavy skillet, heat some of the oil, then add some of the mushrooms. Cook over high heat, without stirring, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until softened 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the cheese, wine and mushrooms, then stir in the the parsley and serve.