Mushroom-Poblano Soup with Bacon
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Oaxaca exports many of its wild mushrooms to Japan, but Fernando López Velarde grabs as much as he can. He loves using them in this soup, which gets a smoky, savory edge from bacon and poblano chiles. A squeeze of fresh lime juice just before serving really perks up the flavor.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 thick slices of bacon (4 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 poblano chiles, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 small Hass avocado, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil. Add the bacon and cook over moderate heat until crisp, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat in the saucepan. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and when it's hot, add the onions, poblanos and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the shiitake, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover and stir in the flour. Gradually add the stock and bring to a boil, stirring. Cook the soup over moderately high heat until thickened. Add the oregano and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Season the soup with salt and pepper and stir in the bacon.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with the tomato, avocado, red onion, cilantro and lime wedges.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.