- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound pearl barley
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 ounces oyster mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 cups beef stock or canned broth
- 3 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Raise the heat to high, add the barley and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add all of the mushrooms and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the beef stock and water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring from time to time, until the barley is tender, about 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and cook uncovered until the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and serve at once.
The orzotto can stand at room temperature for up to 2 hours. Rewarm over moderately low heat with a few tablespoons of water.