- 4 cups water
- 1 cup polenta
- 16 ounces white or brown mushrooms, sliced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for garnish (optional)
How to make this recipe
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. While whisking, gradually pour the polenta into the water. Reduce the heat to low and continue whisking for an additional minute.
- Continue cooking for about 30 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pot. Remove the polenta from the heat when it is tender and creamy and has reached your desired thickness.
- When the polenta is nearly finished cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter, and then stir in the mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Cook mushrooms for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Set aside.
- When the polenta has reached the desired texture, stir the salt and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter into the polenta until the butter is melted.
- Serve topped with the mushroom medley and optional Parmigiano-Reggiano.