Mushroom Kufteh with Green Harissa and Asparagus Pesto
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS
- SERVINGS: 6
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 1/2 pounds assorted wild mushrooms, such as oyster and stemmed shiitake, thinly sliced (8 cups)
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- Green Harissa and Asparagus Pesto, for serving
- In a nonstick skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, 12 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a work surface and let cool slightly, then coarsely chop. Transfer the mushrooms to a large bowl. Add the panko, cheese, parsley, basil, lemon juice and cayenne and season with salt. Add the eggs and egg whites and knead the mixture to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using lightly moistened hands, form the mushroom mixture into six 1-inch-thick patties and set them on the baking sheet. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Preheat a grill pan or a griddle, preferably nonstick, and brush with olive oil. Brush the kufteh with oil and grill over high heat, turning once, until browned, about 5 minutes. Return the kufteh to the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, until hot throughout. Serve the kufteh with Green Harissa and Asparagus Pesto.
Beer Dry German Pilsner: Einbecker.
Wine Zippy Grüner Veltliner.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.