- 3 small shallots
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 Thai chiles
- 3 scallions2 cut into 1-inch pieces, 1 thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 pound oyster mushroomsstems trimmed, mushrooms coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 plum tomatohalved, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- Heat a medium cast-iron skillet. Add the shallots, garlic and chiles and cook over moderate heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the scallion pieces and cook, stirring occasionally, until everything is charred in spots, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer the contents of the skillet to a large mortar and pound to a coarse paste.
- In a medium skillet, bring the water to a boil. Add the mushrooms and boil over high heat until all of the water has evaporated, about 4 minutes. Add the fish sauce and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer the mushrooms to the mortar and pound until coarsely mashed with the shallots and chiles. Transfer the mushroom-chile sauce to a bowl and stir in the tomato, cilantro, dill and sliced scallion. Season with salt and serve.
Serve WithSticky rice.