- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
"Designer soups," as Jordon Carroll calls chef-inspired pureed soups, often have lots of added butter and cream. She prefers old-fashioned ones like this mushroom-barley, which gets its flavor from good-quality beef stock.
More Fast Soups
- 6 cups defatted beef stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 pound cremini or white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup barley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, combine the beef stock with the carrot, celery, onion, mushrooms and barley and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover partially and cook over moderately low heat until the barley and vegetables are tender, 30 minutes. Season the soup with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with parsley and serve.
Light-bodied, fruity Beaujolais.