- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 6 cups defatted beef stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 pound cremini or white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup barley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, combine the beef stock with the carrot, celery, onion, mushrooms and barley and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover partially and cook over moderately low heat until the barley and vegetables are tender, 30 minutes. Season the soup with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with parsley and serve.
Light-bodied, fruity Beaujolais.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.