- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and caps thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach (2 ounces)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Eight 1/2-inch-thick slices of challah bread
- 4 ounces thinly sliced Gruyère cheese
- Mustard and pickles, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a medium skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the mushrooms and scallion and cook over high heat, stirring, until softened and lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Add the spinach, season with salt and pepper and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Top 4 slices of challah with half of the cheese. Spoon the hot mushroom-spinach mixture on top and cover with the remaining cheese. Close the sandwiches and spread the outsides with the remaining 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Heat a griddle. Add the sandwiches and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted, about 6 minutes. Cut in half and serve right away with mustard and pickles.