Mujaddara (Lentils and Rice with Bulgur)
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
This classic Arab dish features rice and lentils seasoned with cumin, coriander and cloves, and then topped with sweet caramelized onions.
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3/4 cup green lentils (4 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large red onions—1/2 onion finely chopped, the rest thinly sliced
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat for about 5 minutes, stirring, until golden.
- In a medium pot of salted boiling water, cook the lentils until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and rinse under cool water. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the chopped onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened and lightly golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in the rice, bulgur, cumin, coriander and cloves. Add 1 3/4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the rice and bulgur are tender and the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and top the rice with the lentils. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the sliced onions and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork; discard the cloves. Stir in the parsley and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mujaddara to a platter, top with the sliced onions and toasted pine nuts and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.