© Christina Holmes
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 2 to 4
This simple, smart recipe uses the ingredients in a classic muffuletta sandwich (salami, ham, provolone, roasted peppers and olives) in a calzone that's baked until warm and melty.
Slideshow: More Italian-American Classics
- 1/2 pound pizza dough
- 4 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 4 ounces thinly sliced ham
- 2 ounces sliced Genoa salami
- 2 roasted bell peppers, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 450°. On a lightly floured work surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the dough to a 10-inch round. On one half of the dough, layer the cheese, ham, salami, bell peppers and olives. Fold the dough over the filling and crimp the edge to seal.
- Brush the top with olive oil and bake for about 25 minutes, until golden. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.