- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Eight 1/2-inch-thick slices of sourdough bread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces brie cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 12 ounces thinly sliced mortadella
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Pickles, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Make the lemon aioli In a food processor, pulse the egg yolks, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard and garlic to blend. With the machine on, slowly drizzle in the oil until incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make the sandwiches Preheat the oven to 375°. Spread one side of each bread slice with 1/2 tablespoon of the butter. Arrange buttered side up on a baking sheet and toast until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Top 4 of the toasts with the brie, sauerkraut and mortadella.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup of the aioli with the mustard. Spread the mustard aioli on the remaining 4 toasts and close the sandwiches. Bake until the mortadella is warm and the brie is melted, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with pickles and extra lemon aioli.
The aioli can be refrigerated for 1 week.